Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy - "Gastric Sleeve"
Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy is a bariatric procedure in which the surgeon removes approximately 85% of the stomach, shaping the remaining stomach into a tube or "sleeve."
The stomach is divided along its vertical length in order to create a slender pouch. The excess stomach is removed. The purpose is to limit the amount of food ingested at any given time without altering the normal absorption of the vitamins and minerals. This can be used as a first stage operation prior to a gastric bypass or as a definite procedure. With this procedure, the nerves of the stomach and the outlet valve (pylorus) are not altered, preserving the function of the stomach.
Vertical Gastric Sleeve Advantages:
- The rest of the gastrointestinal tract anatomy is not altered, so the food ingested follows the normal course.
- This results in less chance of developing lack of vitamins and minerals and eliminates 'dumping syndrome'.
- The procedure decreases significantly the hunger by removing the part of the stomach that produces the main stimulating hormones.
- It minimizes the chance of developing ulcers.
- There are normally fewer office visits than with gastric banding, since there is no need for adjustment of the size of the band.
- There is no bypass of the intestinal tract, meaning that complications, such as intestinal obstruction, anemia, osteoporosis, vitamin deficiency and protein deficiency, will likely not occur.
- Fewer dietary restrictions. Dietary restrictions regarding the types of food allowed are much more flexible compared to other weight loss surgeries.
- Normal digestion and absorption.
- The procedure does not affect how the body digests food and absorbs vitamins, minerals and other nutrients.
- The risk of “dumping” is virtually eliminated.
- Reduced desire to eat. The hormones produced in the stomach that trigger the feeling of hunger are virtually eliminated when the stomach is reduced in size.
The Woodlands, Texas Weight Loss and Bariatric Surgical Options
- Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Gastric Sleeve or Vertical Sleeve Surgery
- Lap Band Surgery
- Gastric Bypass Revision Surgery